Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Physics Bets

The New York Times recently published an excellent story about a bet between two physicists: Janet Conrad and Frank Wilczek, both of MIT. I am very fond of the betting tradition in particle physics - a letter written up with the bet, signed by the parties. I have seen a few at SLAC. Sometimes the bet money is even attached - a nickel or dime. The case in the NYT article is a bit unusual, being chocolate candies.

I haven't heard of this tradition existing outside of particle physics, where people often bet on experimental results or which theory will prevail. It is hard to imagine it quite working in medical physics or biology. I hope to find some way to participate in this great tradition, and have my own quarter taped to a wall somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment