Sunday, July 28, 2013

Life as a New Faculty Member: Should I freak out about tenure yet?

I'm having a pretty great week. I'm thrilled with the progress I have made on laying out my classes. I have amasses a significant number of resources to use in my teaching. I've reviewed two manuscripts this week. As far as I can tell, I'm much better at being a faculty member than being a graduate student!

So, should I be documenting my competency? Should I be keeping a log of all of the work I am doing to plan for classes? Would it be valuable to keep a list of all of the books I have evaluated for class and rejected? This would all have potential value - boosting my confidence, being a resource for future course planning... but would it help me with tenure?

Ah yes, I have hit the first level of craziness of a new faculty member. I'd like to think I'm not doing too bad (regarding the tenure crazies). I'm not panicking about whether I am doing the correct things to get tenure, I'm just not sure how to best document the things that I am already doing. I know there is some yearly form about professional activities, so I should be keeping track of concrete things like reviewing manuscripts. But what about the less concrete things, like evaluating a pile of textbooks? I know that it is an expected part of my job, but the whole point of tenure documentation is to show that you have been doing your job!

This has helped me realize (remember?) that I should find some mentors. The other physics faculty members are great and have been a huge help with many things - but it has been a while since they have gone through the tenure process, which constantly changes. Hence, I need to find some science faculty who have more recently gone through the tenure process who are willing to mentor me. Ideally more than one, in case my chosen mentor ends up being one of my tenure evaluators!

I expect that I may find out some helpful information during new faculty orientation (though that isn't just for tenure-track), but since I find myself ahead of schedule on everything else, I might as well try to get the ball rolling on the evaluation process. As easy as it is to put tenure out of my mind, I have a third year evaluation as well!

1 comment:

  1. Did you see this article?
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/07/21/the-awesomest-7-year-postdoc-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-tenure-track-faculty-life/
    Good luck out there, and soon you'll have kittens to sooth your soul.

    ReplyDelete