Monday, August 12, 2013

Life as New Faculty: Technology!

I'm trying to sort out how to use laboratory experiments in my Modern Physics class. I plan on doing one lab as a "demo" on the first day - measuring the speed of light with a modulated laser. I think it is a cool experiment, and one that is finicky enough (and a little risky with the laser alignment) to do as a group. I had read the lab guide, which I found in a folder of past course material. "Cool" - I thought - "but what laser do I use?" Then, wandering around the Modern Physics Lab, I found a shelf... labeled "Speed of Light", with all of the equipment and the instruction manual. I got it working in less than an hour, a good fraction of which was spent looking for appropriate laser safety glasses. Because I am a big wimp.

Awesome, now I have a demo for the first day of class. Then the question was: how to do the data analysis as a group. I figure I will slap together a python program (basically, fit to a line) that will make it easy to enter in the data and quickly get the result. But I want to be able to show the class the data - I suppose it is a small enough class, we can just crowd around my laptop... but my classroom does have an AV system.

And what an AV system it is! I've met some nice AV systems before. There is a touch-screen interface, so you push one button and the screen rolls down and the projector warms up and then you tell it to use the laptop output (which Ubuntu can do nicely these days!) and maybe you can even control the room lights. But this goes beyond that. Way beyond. In addition to the "screen" and "projector" options... it can control the curtains. There are about 4 windows in the room, with "black out" roller blinds and a screening roller blind. And the AV system can control the blinds.

Clearly, I live in the future and work in a very fancy building.

No comments:

Post a Comment