Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Drove to work today (Day 2)

Yesterday was my first day "at work". It was quite exciting - I fought with Ubuntu to add a printer (without searching the entire Stanford network first), I did some online training, and then I searched for the women's restroom. That last part was far more traumatizing than you might imagine.

Now I'm on Day 2. I've brought my coffee mug, some posters, and the PDG. While the PDG is far less applicable to my new field, it still is the single most useful book I've ever had. Also, it weighs a ton. So I drove to work today! I more or less filled the back with stuff I wanted to bring in, so it didn't feel like cheating... too much.



What are the essentials for my new office? Food and beverage, first. I brought a small collection of tea and some food for days I forgot lunch or stay through dinner. I, unfortunately, forgot to bring my supply of energy drinks. Given that the vending machine here (at least, the one I've found) doesn't have them, it is a bit necessary.

I brought my running shoes and running clothes. Who knows when I'll go running, but I'd like to use that as a break in the middle of my day. I found a door labeled "shower", so I brought a towel. I haven't looked behind that door yet to ascertain if I need to bring soap and shampoo as well, but that will fit easily in my backpack when I bike.

Finally, I brought a few 'decorations'. The cubicle I am in is super huge, so I really should have brought more. I've put up the particle and nuclear posters, as well as my old sorority composite. I also brought my giant stuffed squid. I think I will eventually bring in plants, but I don't know what ones.

Do I feel all moved in? Not quite. But I did figure out how to get my car into the parking garage, which was going to be the biggest challenge of the day. As long as it doesn't get towed, I'll consider today a success! A few more of these sorts of days and then I'll be able to move on to the science.

No comments:

Post a Comment