Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Goodbye Carlsbad, NM

I only have a few minutes left of my last shift at WIPP. Did I manage to do everything I ever wanted to do here in Carlsbad?

  • Eco Location The last thing I did was stop in a small store in Carlsbad with cute hand-made gifts and very friendly people working there! I'm glad I stopped by.
  • Swimming in the Pecos I always figured it would just happen one night if I drank too much, but last night was my last chance. I got to chase some geese. The water was warmer than I imagined, and my skin didn't melt off. Overall, a success.
  • Hobbs, NM Yesterday I drove to Hobbs after my shift to go shopping. I only had about an hour before I thought stores would close, so I had to work fast and didn't end up making it to all of them. But Il Cicerone was awesome - much cheaper than the stores in Italy, but very similar stuff. Also a great Western Wear shop that had some great Ariat shirts on sale.
  • The Living Desert This small 'zoo' showcases the different ecosystems of the local desert, including some exciting wildlife. Unfortunately it is so small that most of the animals are by themselves, and a bit depressed. I really wanted to rescue the badger - who knew they were so cute? Also: mountain lion. The sign said not to try to pet it, no matter how cute it looked.
  • Bat Flight I've gone once a summer to see the bats fly. I absolutely love it - not only do you get to see ~300,000 bats leaving the cave, but you can actually hear their wings flapping. And smell them. How often does one get to smell bats?
  • Roswell I went... I wasn't abducted. Unfortunately we got there after most everything was closed. And my camera battery was completely dead. But I can at least say I've been there!
  • The Wellhead my favorite New Mexican microbrewery makes delicious beer and a delicious prime rib.

I can't really think of anything I missed. While I could have gone shopping in Artesia one last time, hitting up Hobbs was better. I had hoped to go salsa dancing around here... but it seems to not exist. No dancing for me.

So, goodbye, Carlsbad.

No comments:

Post a Comment