Friday, September 20, 2013

First Test!

I've been incredibly swamped the past 2 weeks. I got a bit behind, because I was sick. Then students started coming for help very often due to the first homework being due in 2 classes... and tomorrow is the first test. I had a lot of grading from the homework, on top of my normal course prep and frequent grading (reading quizzes, electronics labs).

The test is actually helping give me a bit of a breather. I won't have a homework to grade this weekend and I didn't have a lecture to prepare for tomorrow. Because the test is half multiple choice, it won't be too bad to grade. The test is given in a 50-minute class, so it is quite short! I'm still behind in grading for two of my classes, but I have the next homework ready for intro, as well as the solutions. I learned from the first homework: I *must* do the homework before posting it so I figure out if the questions are unclear or impossible. I almost assigned a problem that required a non-analyticallly solvable differential equation. Oops.

I have mixed feelings about the test tomorrow. I've tried so hard to make it not hard. The 2 calculations are very similar to things the students have seen multiple times and can be done in about 5 lines of work each. The 4 multiple choice questions are closely related to clicker questions and workshop problems. I think I have made a test that is closely matched to the content and skills that have actually been stressed in the class so far!

Many students have come to my office this week. They've been working on the practice problems that I assigned, as well as the practice test I posted. Unfortunately I only posted the practice test yesterday and the solutions today, so it may not have been as useful to as many students as I would have liked. Additionally, the practice test sucked (confusing and a little too hard) compared to the real test.

So far, I don't have a lot of information on the preparedness/skills of the students in my class. I have one homework to go off of, the reading quizzes, and my interactions with them. I think that the students who are coming to my office might be some of the stronger students in the class. Most of the international students don't come, and I have a hard time telling whether they are learning - they sometimes have problems due to English comprehension (or understanding expectations), but seem to be really strong at calculations.

I'm really hoping the average will be high on this test - perhaps 80%. However, I might be vastly optimistic. Since there are so few questions on the test, each questions counts for a lot. Some of the multiple choice questions require deep understanding of the material, which makes me think that students could easily miss 2 of them... bringing their grade to a 75%. I'm expecting that the better prepared students will finish within 20 minutes. I'm hoping that helps them gain some confidence! However, if almost everyone finishes within 30 or 40 minutes I will be able to add more questions to the next test.

I expect some students will get less than a 50%. I don't want it to happen, but if a student misses 3 multiple choice questions and struggles with the calculations, it will. I like to be generous with the partial credit, but when the calculations are so simple, it is hard to give a lot of partial credit. Many of the students need to improve their arsenal of problem solving tools - drawing a diagram, sketching a plot, etc.

I really hope that the students who have come to me for help do well. They are putting in so much effort - it must result in learning! Many are in need of a confidence boost, and I worry that their lack of confidence may hurt them. They frequently do not commit to the easy "obvious" approach that they understand (and is right), but instead overcomplicate the problem. They've demonstrated the ability to explain certain concepts to other students - I hope that results in a correct answer on the test!

I'm trying to come up with some ideas of what to do if the test score are really low. Perhaps some meta-cognitive "let's think about your learning/preparation" sessions? Tied to extra credit? I don't want to give A's to every student for the sake of getting A's, but I feel that it is my job to provide every student with the opportunity for success. If they have taken every opportunity that I have provided, and still aren't successful, then I need to do something different!

No comments:

Post a Comment