Monday, September 23, 2013

Too many college events!

Apparently, Garrison Keillor - the Prairie Home Companion guy - will be at Agnes Scott at the end of October. Yay! I am particularly excited since Neil Gaiman came while I was on vacation this summer, and at Stanford it was impossible to get tickets to anything. I can't recall the last "big name" author event I went to, but it was probably at MIT.

So, am I going? Well, I already agreed to a different campus event that night at the same time. The college is doing a "professional attire" fashion show at a nearby (but not walking) mall. I agreed to be one of the models. I am excited to be there to learn about appropriate professional attire! They like having faculty be the 'models'. I always like helping physics be more visible among the students.

I'm quite torn. I've already agreed to participate, but it isn't hugely important that I (in particular) participate. There will be more opportunities to see cool authors here at the college, but possibly not Garrison Keillor. Though, Prairie Home Companion will possibly stop in the Atlanta-area someday when they travel.

And honestly, this might be a good teaching lesson. I should sometimes say no! Yes, college events are awesome and I want to participate. But I am rather busy (hello again, 3 AM!) and saying yes to one opportunity excludes other ones. So, Nicole, here is a lesson for you: don't always say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment