Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Week Finished!

The first day of classes was last Wednesday, so I am officially through the first week. Here is what I have learned so far:
  1. Students aren't particularly good at having the book right away, even if it is available as an eBook (that they could purchase and immediately access).
  2. 100% completion of the reading quiz is only on the first one.
  3. The "Just in Time Teaching" technique really does reveal a lot about students' knowledge and understanding.
  4. The Fluke Multimeters keep blowing fuses, seemingly for no reason (but I haven't been a direct witness)
  5. Most of the students here are incredibly hard working and intelligent
  6. It is easy to make too many computer slides (which I know ends terribly)
  7. There is not enough lecture time to cover all of the Intro material in a pedagogically appropriate way, let alone answer all of the questions the students have
  8. The first year students haven't yet figured out to call me Dr. (rather than Mrs. or Ms.) Ackerman

Grading the electronics labs was less painful than I expected, probably because the students did so well on it. Finding/creating decent homework problems for Intro has been terrible. While I made progress on course materials this weekend, I'm still not ready for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment