Monday, February 20, 2017

Some pictures from Bergamo

I'm getting very behind in showing off pictures from my travels - of course, this is because I am spending so much time traveling!  During a day trip to Bergamo, I walked a lot and saw many churches.  That is basically what I always do in Italy, but this was the first time a church actually took my breath away: Santa Maria Maggiore.

Sant'Alessandro della Croce - I didn't know rocks came in these colors
This used to be a convent - and now it is an academic building of the University of Bergamo.  

One of the original gates to the upper city.  Note that the road gets used for 2-way traffic!  Traffic flow is controlled by stoplights, and one must hope no one cheats the light.

Bergamo is made of the upper city (its old!) and the lower city (its fancy in a modern banking sortof way)

Santa Maria Maggiore - this was the breathtaking one.

In addition to every inch of the ceiling being decorated, there were also some huge tapestries.
I climbed a tower, from which I could see other towers.  

In Bergamo there were many shrines and memorial and signs about Pope John XXIII - he was born in the area and had studied/lived here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment