Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Off to Oxford (tomorrow)

Tomorrow morning I head to the Milan Malpensa Airport to fly to London Heathrow.  The Malpensa airport is quite a bit outside the city, so I'm taking a train there.  I purchased the ticket ahead of time - hopefully showing the PDF or my phone or Tablet will work (like it is supposed to!).

I get to London in the early afternoon and then get on a bus for Oxford.  At least that portion of the trip will be in English - though the currency will be different.  I expect to have a bit of a culture shock, switching back to a country where I actually know what people around me are saying.  I expect that I will mess up and speak Italian at least once.  Or at a minimum, have the same slow and uncertain speech that I have in Italian - though in English.

It has been foggy here in Milan for the past few days - today the mist became more rain-like.  On the bright side, it was a few degrees warmer!  In Oxford the whether will be similarly wet, but even warmer still.  I'm going to take my umbrella with me, but I've never tried to take a full size umbrella on a plane before.

I'm flying British Airways, who look to be quite serious about their baggage limitations.  Sadly, my laptop-backpack doesn't quite match their "under seat" size, which I am worried they may strongly enforce.  My current plan is to do the trip with my laptop backpack and messenger bag - which both only work if they are on my back.  I'm sure this is a terrible plan, but checking a bag costs $40 - one way!

I'm looking forward to seeing Oxford, giving my talk, and hopefully making some progress on a paper.  I'll get back to Milan fairly late on Saturday, so I plan to sleep in and relax on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment