Saturday, April 15, 2017

Moderate Success at Departure

Taxi: Success
I found an App so that I could request a taxi without calling anyone.  It showed up on time, I think I didn't forget to do anything when I left the apartment (I was nervous I'd forget to leave the keys), and there was no traffic getting to the airport.  I had just enough Euros to pay the cab, though I think I could have paid via credit card in the app.

Bag Check: Almost Success
I arrived so early so that I couldn't check my bags right away.  When I did go to check my bags, I succeeded in convincing (easily) the gate agent that I could check 2 bags for free because of my Elite status on Delta.  Awesome.  He even thought that I should pay a lower fee ($60) than the system was saying ($85).  Awesome.  But then I had to go to a different desk to pay... where they actually knew the rules and said that I had to pay $240 for the bag.  Ouch.  Note that while these conversations all started in Italian, I switched them into English so that I could be convincing as possible.  I failed.  I'm mostly bitter that they wouldn't accept American Express.

Now I am at my gate, charging my electronic devices and downloading some music on the WiFi.  The next challenge is a short layover in Paris, where I need to go through EU-exit border control.  If I miss my second flight and end up trapped in Paris, I'll have time to blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment