Saturday, April 1, 2017

Venice! Che bella!

I've spent my day touring churches, as I typically do.  I woke up to church bells and was very thankful for the goodnight's sleep that I got.  After a shower and breakfast, I picked a church and headed on my way.  It was lovely, but I think I am starting to get "churched out" after 3 months of the world's most beautiful churches.  This church had a lot of really great art, including a work by Donatello, work by Titian, and Titian's tomb.  Obviously I don't know very much about art, so I don't fully appreciate the subtleties in the different Italian paintings of religious iconography.

I ended up eating lunch at a trattoria that had been recommended by the receptionist at my hotel.  I had lasagna with fish, mostly because I had no idea what to expect.  It was good!  The sauce was a creamy-bechamel that has seafood infused throughout (think creamy chowder), rather than big chunks.  From there, I walked past the Peggy Guggenheim collection and along the water.  At there end there was a beautiful view of a variety of islands, St Mark's square, and San Giorgio - a monastic compound taking up almost the entirely of an island. 

I hopped on the water bus and went to San Giorgio.  The church was ok, but there was a belltower with incredible views.  Unfortunately, it was required to take the elevator - I didn't get to climb the stairs like normal.  Next to the monastery is the Venice Sailing Club (I think) and I oggled the sailboats for awhile.  If I won a billion dollars, it would be very tempting to live on a sailboat here.

I left the tranquility of San Giorgio and took the water bus to St Marks Square: tourist central.  I did a bit of shopping, saw a minor church, and then went to the San Zachary church.  This place was quite interesting - while other churches have paintings on the walls, this church has huge oil paintings completely filling the walls.  They also have an old crypt, which is half-filled with water. 

Strangely, the highlight of my day was seeing a big jellyfish in a canal.  I feel quite bad for it - I'm not sure that jellyfish would want to be in the canals of Venice.  It was eye-opening for me to realize that these canals must be salt-water since the Adriatic Sea is right  there.  These aren't like the canals back in Milan...

With my time in Europe nearing an end, I am going into gift-purchasing mode.  Today, I bought a suitcase-worth of gifts (and they weren't all for me...).  Given that I was already worried about how I was getting things home, I also bought a suitcase.  I need it to just get things back to Milan, but I had planned for some time to buy a European-sized suitcase.  I may have some ridiculous baggage fees in my future, and I'm still not sure I will have enough space!

I'm back at the hotel, letting my cell phone charge and enjoying a pot of tea.  The breakfast room also doubles as a coffee/tea room in the afternoon.  While espresso isn't available, I can sit and have tea and pastries.  I will head back out soon to wander the city more.  Most churches are going be closed, so I don't know how many more I will see.  I do want to see St Marks, which is incredibly impressive from the outside.  Unfortunately, it is in an ocean of tourists.  If I can't get in today, I will make it a priority to go tomorrow.  Otherwise, I do just want to wander and let myself get lost.  It was a pain to navigate the alleys when I had a lot of shopping (and a suitcase...) but it is a pleasure when unburdened.  The challenge will not be to do much more shopping!  There are so many interesting shops here (masks, jewelry, art, glass, paper, leather goods...) and I haven't yet made it to the recommended bookstore.  I can't buy much more before I need a second suitcase just to get back to Milan!

No comments:

Post a Comment