Monday, January 30, 2017

Research, my old friend

There is this stage of research (my research, at least) where you realize that a lot of what you were doing (or trying to do) is wrong.  We got there today!  Yay!  I really do think this is a good sign - I've never moved in a straight line from idea to publication, so "smooth sailing" in research is just "haven't found the bumps yet".  Now that we've found the (first) bump, I can have some confidence that I am going in the right direction.

A large portion of my research notebook notes are on different papers I've read lately.  Some of this was in a direction that I had never studied before, and I was starting to feel like I was heading down a rabbit hole - this was, in fact, the wrong direction.  The new direction involves techniques and literature that is more familiar to me.  Some of what I was reading today came from neutrinoless double beta decay collaborations or dark matter experiments!

Don't worry, I'm still doing cancer-related research.  I actually take it as a good sign that I need to remember back to almost a decade ago.  My training is in physics - if I am just reading biology papers, I'm going in the wrong direction.  I shouldn't be spending my time competing directly against biologists (or chemists, or engineers, etc).  But any time that I am pulling in particle physics ideas to my cancer work, I think I'm on the right direction - this is where my skill set is the most unique and I have the best chance of finding something that (1) will work and (2) has not already been done.


No comments:

Post a Comment