Saturday, March 11, 2017

A Very Successful Saturday Morning...

My haircut went well.  I did feel bad for the stylist, who was excellent but didn't speak English.  I think I was able to communicate all of the important things and certainly waked out with better hair!

The internet is a magical thing.  When I search for things in Milan (or other cities when I am traveling) I use Italian or English based on what type of information I want.  If I want to know the mass schedule for a church, I search for that in Italian - it will take me to the official page fastest.  But when I want tourist-type info, I look in English.  So, it occured to me that I could search for "best cafes to work at in Milan" and that I could find American-style places.  There are many great places in Milan!  Many of them aren't like coffeeshops in the US, but some of them are much better.

I am currently in a place called "Coffice" where you pay an hourly rate that includes a pastry/snack buffett and unlimited coffee/water/tea.  The internet is great!  I've been having more and more problems with the internet at my apartment, so simply having good WiFi is worth the cost itself.  However, I think the rate that I drink coffee/tea and eat pastries also makes this a really good deal.  I would come back frequently, except it is on the other side of the city!  There is a cafe called Upcycle that is more convenient that I will check out next time.

Not only am I happy with the location I found,  but this is also the first time I've tried to do serious work on my tablet.  I bought the tablet for this trip but I haven't used it as much as I expected.  I am giving it a chance, and it is really shining!  Typically I write all of my documents/paper/presentations/etc in LaTeX, but the plan is to submit this paper to a journal that doesn't except LaTeX.  I'm typing the draft in a Google Doc.  Using Dropbox I can refer back to the papers and code that I have been working with on my "real" laptop.  I'm happy that this is working - and that I don't need to haul my gigantic laptop around to do a little work.

Of course, I am much more comfortable working in Linux than in Android.  Within an hours, I decided I needed emacs (a text editor).  It is what I use for everything, and the Dropbox text editor just wasn't good enough for looking at code.  So, I've installed a terminal program and emacs on my tablet.   Now I just need to figure out how to make the Dropbox App and the Terminal App talk to eachother...

No comments:

Post a Comment