Wednesday, March 1, 2017

I'm terrified of volcanos

Apparently Mt. Etna, in Sicily, is erupting.  It is an active volcano, so this isn't particularly noteworthy.  The headline is that this is the "first time this year" it has erupted - but we aren't yet 25% through the year.

Let it be said that I am nowhere near the volcano, nor will I go anywhere close to it.  There is water between Sicily and me (ie, the rest of Italy) and I plan to keep it that way.  I had been thinking of flying to the South of Italy (but still on the right side of that protective water...) but I might not, if Etna is still erupting.

I may climb up bell/church/castle towers, despite my fear of heights.  However, that is only because I can rationalize that if the tower has survived however many hundreds of years, it is not going to suddenly collapse.  Rationally, volcanos are terrifying.  Liquid rock travels in the direction opposite of gravity - clearly all rules have been broken and I should stay very far away.  Hence: no need to worry about me, I've taken care of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment