Friday, March 24, 2017

Back to Lake Como...

While I didn't feel up for traveling this weekend, the pope is visiting Milan.  I expected that this would bring crowds and chaos and that I wouldn't want to head into the city.  Faced with staying at home all weekend, I looked into heading into the mountains... after some recommendations from my Italian instructor, I decided to stay on Lake Como and booked a hotel from my cell phone.

I'm currently in Varenna, which is half-way up the lake.  I left work a little early and was able to see the scenery from the train (before the sun set).  After checking in to my hotel, I wandered the streets.  I love ancient mountainside towns - it is difficult to tell what paths are meant to be roads and what ones are sidwalks/alleys... all of which incorporate stairs!  My plan for tomorrow is to take a ferry to Bellagio.  There are villas with beautiful gardens both here in Varenna and in Bellagio - and the weather is supposed to be 70 degrees.  It is supposed to begin raining tomorrow evening, but I hope to have a nice day tomorrow. 

The last time I was on Lake Como, I was in Lecco in January and it was freezing!  Now there are flowers in bloom, even though I can stll see some snow on the more distant mountains.  Tourist season begins tomorrow - yet everything felt very empty here, which was a bit surprising for a Friday evening.  There are some tourists around - British, American, Russian.  Hopefully things will still be quiet and peaceful tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow - I've been exhausted all week, but the magical combination of mountains, lake, and ancient streets should re-energize me!

No comments:

Post a Comment