Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Failure of my usual technique...

I had been concerned that I knew so little of what to expect here - in terms of students, structure, equipment - that I didn't think I could really prepare all of my slides ahead of time.  At Agnes, I have a fairly good rhythm where I can use previously-created slides/examples/images and pull together lecture in about 2 hours.  When the previous year's lecture was good, it can go faster.  This means that I can adjust to what the students are having difficulty with (as reported on the warm-up) and what there questions were in previous lectures.

I'm attempting the same rhythm here and having some difficulties.  Primarily, the issue is that I am lecturing 3 hours (180 minutes) a day, when I am used to prepping 50 minutes for lecture.  Even allocating for translation, that is much more content.  It is also much harder to make lecture, since I want to avoid putting words on slides.  I'm trying to find pictures to use as examples and express all of my ideas.  This is taking forever!

I had the majority of the math prepared before I came, and had notes on the physics, but no physics slides.  The math actually went slower than anticipated, but the first day of physics content went faster than expected.  This is good, in that it means I will be able to get to some content that I thought I wouldn't have time for.  This is bad, in that I think I spent 4 hours preparing slides yesterday, and they were not quite enough for today's lecture.  I ended by covering something that I hadn't had time for yesterday.

Unfortunately I am afraid I now need to spend almost 5 hours making the next day's lecture.  I do my best when I have a plan and organization, and I really do want to show pictures.  I also need to plan out demos and the afternoon activities.  Besides being more efficient in finding images, I'm not sure how to speed up the process.  This is hard since tonight we have a discussion with some senior monks; I'm looking forward to it, but I will have little prep time until after 9 PM.

I hope to keep finding time to blog, but it looks like I am in my normal academic pattern of barely having enough time to sleep.  Oops!

Measuring circles to determine pi from radius, area, and circumference.  So far my labs have seemed successful!


No comments:

Post a Comment