Tuesday, May 26, 2015

First Lecture

Last night I was quite nervous about my lecture today - and I haven't been nervous about teaching since my first class at Agnes Scott!  I'm still a bit jetlagged, so I went to sleep very early and got up early to work on prepping.  I don't have all of my slides and labs finished - I wanted to see how the first day went, since I might have needed to make significant adjustments to how I was preparing materials.

My two morning lectures went great!  Each was 90 minutes, separated by a 30 minute tea break.  I started with a math assessment, and then covered some basic math.  There were a few places where my slides weren't detailed enough or where I forgot to explain a topic (that they hadn't seen before).  I'm using my think-pair-share technique, but having the students respond with colored notecards.  Most of the questions were correctly answered by almost everyone to begin with, so there hasn't been much of the "pairing" step yet.

My co-teacher/translator Tsondue is certainly doing the majority of the work.  He translates everything I say, but I can tell that he is filling in further details as well.  Some of the questions that the students ask he translates for me, but he handles most of it on his own.  I feel somewhat superfluous - clearly he could be explaining basic algebra on his own.  I'd like to think I am contributing in terms of pedagogy.

This afternoon the class will be coming in two halves, and we will do a lab.  Unsurprisingly, I didn't make it as far through my slides as I had hoped to, so we didn't quite cover the math (triangles, angles, and trigonometry) that I hoped to cover before lab today.  I think i can still make this work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment