Tuesday, May 26, 2015

First lab=fun!

The lab sessions in the afternoon went fairly well.  There were a few issues, but mostly the same issues that I run into at Agnes Scott.  First, my instructions and figures weren't clear enough.  It could have been worse, given that this was a lab I was making up out of thin air.  However, the second lab group received clearer instructions.  There wasn't quite enough equipment, so we had to re-arrange some groups.

I was very impressed with the creativity and resourcefulness of the monks.  I asked them to use a vertical string to align two numbers - multiple groups found objects (pens, etc) to tie to the bottom of the string to make a plumb bob.  They found better ways to make the second measurement, compared to how the lab instructions were written - and both lab groups, independently, found some of the same solutions.  Of course they are smart and mature, but I wonder how much of this is not having the experience of American schools where students are repeatedly told to "follow the instructions".

Calculating trigonometry ratios on a smart phone.

Finding better ways to set up this measurement than I had thought of.
I was lucky, in that most groups had at least one person who spoke significant English.  My understanding is that more monks speak English than I realize, but are shy about it.  I was somewhat helpful during the lab session, but Tsondue (my Tibetan co-teacher) was much more effective.  I also had a few monks, who have previous experience with Physics, helping as assistants.

I initially had some concerns about how large the lab groups were - 6 or 7 monks working together.  This is one way in which my American pedagogy doesn't translate over.  The monks were all very engaged, debating and explaining with the other lab members.  They seemed to be having fun.  I'm not sure that they found the math itself fun, but it might just be the act in engaging in a different type of intellectual exercise from what they are used to.  I know I loved classes when I was a few years into graduate school and only did research all of the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment