Friday, May 29, 2015

First Tibetan Lesson

If there is one thing I would do differently for next year (and yes, that is how I am thinking already), I would learn some Tibetan.  Of course, I'm fairly sure that all of the monks know more English than I could ever learn of Tibetan, but I would like to try.  I feel very ineffective when trying to help them work on calculations and activities - a few words would possibly go a long way.

Tsondue talked me through the alphabet today.   I had made an initial attempt a few weeks ago, but quickly decided it was too hard for me.  He broke it down in a way that seemed much less intimidating.  It is a tonal language, but I can hear the difference between some of the tones.  Listening to the language, I have an easier time picking out the different sounds - it reminds me of Japanese - compared to French.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it sounds "easier" since I am totally missing some of the different sounds.

I'd like to learn the names of the numbers, some basic polite phrases, and some helpful teaching phrases - "do you understand?", "that is correct", "do you have questions?", etc.  I have been working on my Italian for the past few weeks - there is a flashcard app that I use on my smartphone.  If I loaded in some Tibetan flashcards (and worked with a Tibetan speaker, like Tsondue), I could probably learn a few phrases for next year.  My Italian deck has about 1200 cards from when I took Italian. Of course, Italian pronunciation is much easier.

The first line is an Indian language, the second line is Tibetan.

No comments:

Post a Comment