Friday, May 29, 2015

Laughs, finally

While I am enjoying teaching, I've found some difficulties in not being able to talk to many of the students directly.  My co-teacher and translator is excellent, so I certainly trust the physics concepts are being communicated correctly.  But, I can't tell jokes.  Or at least, I am not being successful in telling jokes.

I know that the monks will laugh - Tsondue says things that make them laugh, and occasionally a student will ask a question that others will laugh at.  I've attempted a few jokes, but they did not results in laughs.  I don't know if Tsondue didn't realize that I was attempting a joke, and didn't translate it that way, or if it was just too subtle overall.  For instance, I had a picture of a hanging chimpanzee and sketched out the forces by drawing a box, saying that it is as close as I can get to drawing a chimp.  No laughs.

Today there were laughs, caused by me!  Of course, it was primarily because my demonstration failed.  I brought my parachute ball: a tennis ball with a small parachute tied on.  I stood on a chair and dropped it at the same time as a normal tennis ball, explaining that the parachute ball has more air resistance so it would hit second.  I have done this demo many times... and this time, they hit the ground at the same time.  I tried again, and the parachute ball seemed to hit first.  Laughs.

I told them that if they didn't trust me, they could borrow the parachute ball and drop it from much higher up - this got more laughs.  So even if my jokes are quite making it through translation, at least "physics is hard" seems to be making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment