Friday, June 5, 2015

First Day in London

The process of getting from the monastery to London took over 24 hours, but everything went as planned.  I got a reasonable amount of sleep on the (long) flight from Mumbai to Frankfurt.  In London, I took a train from the airport to the downtown area, and then a taxi to my hotel.  The taxi driver was very nice, explaining the sights along the way and telling me about other attractions
around my hotel.

I arrived a few hours before I could check in, so I dropped my bags off and started wandering.  The first thing that happens is that I find a used bookstore a few blocks from my hotel and buy a few books - including an exciting astronomy book from the late 1800s.  Oops.  I better get more of the books that I brought read, so that I can leave them behind.  My bag is far too heavy.

I aimed towards the West End, thinking I'd get theater tickets for tonight.  I found the theater where "Bend it Like Beckham: The Musical" was showing, and bought a ticket.  I kept walking and found the most amazing comic store.  It was geek heaven - two floors of books, dvds, comics, and merch.  I managed to walk out without buying something, mostly with my heavy suitcase in mind.  I did, however, read through a new issue of a comic that I know is waiting for me at home.  I'm not a patient person...

I found a small craft beer bar and decided to grab a pint.  It was certainly afternoon (if not yet late afternoon) but it was probably night in India.  They had a great selection of sours, and I got an amazing beer called "Cool as a Gherkin" - I'm fairly sure I have heard of it before.   I made it back to the hotel, showered, and took a nap.

I found a great Italian place for dinner on the way to the theater.  I was somewhat worried that it might take too long, but my food came quickly and I devoured it.  Arriving at the theater somewhat early, I walked around the block and found a cute garden out back.  I enjoyed the plants for a few minutes, then went into the theater.

The show was amazing.  It only opened 3 weeks ago, and this is the world premier.  The tone is slightly different than the movie, but the plot is largely the same.  The music was a mix of typical "musical"-type numbers, as well with some traditional Indian songs, and Bollywood-like numbers.  It was very fun!  The theater was beautiful, and the set design was incredible.  Most of the productions I have seen recently are college or community produced, so the level of a West End show blew me away.

I have some pictures from today, but the internet is rather spotty at the hotel.  I look forward to getting a full night's rest (on a completely horizontal surface) and getting up tomorrow for my tea tasting class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment