Monday, June 8, 2015

Third Day in London

One of my top goals for this trip was to go to the Highgate cemetery.  It is a bit out of town, so I took the Tube.  Even with taking the tube, I had about a 2km walk to get to the cemetery, though most of it was through a lovely park.

The Highgate cemetery is from the 1800's and on.  It is where Karl Marx, Douglas Adams, George Eliot, and many political leaders are buried.  The East part is open, but the West part requires a tour.  I purchased my tour ticket and wandered the East part for about an hour.  The tour of the West part was quite interesting - it is the older part, and was constructed (originally) to attract visitors.

After the tour, I spent a little more time on the East side of the cemetery.  I made my way back to town and found an Italian restaurant to grab a late lunch at.  I took the tube back to my hotel, and then set out in search of a bookstore I wanted to see while I was here.  As I wondered around, I found an interesting used bookstore.  At this point, I've bought books at 3 shops - my bags were already so heavy!  Oops.  It was getting to be later in the evening, and I was again very tired.  I had a cliff bar for dinner and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment