Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Saying Goodbye

Tomorrow is my last day of teaching - and even then, it is mostly handing out the exam.  I want to cover universal gravitation first, but that is it.  Today we had a closing ceremony - all of the students piled into one classroom and there were comments from the administrators of Gomang and Loseling.  Us instructors made some comments, and we were presented with beautiful wall hangings.  I'm probably going to move my PhD in my office to hang this (once I figure out how to get it back to the US).

The biologists have arrived, who teach the next section.  It is strange to think of handing over "my" students and "my" classroom to them.  I've only been here slightly over a week - I don't feel ready to leave.  I'm not just planning on returning next year, I'm planning on returning most years.  While I may not be able to pick what topic and monastery I teach at next year, I'm sure I can make a request.  I'm already debating whether I want to teach the same topic, since I have so many ideas for improvements, or whether I want to teach the same students the next physics class in the sequence.

I'm not sure there are plans for what I will be doing tomorrow, once my students are taking the exam.  There was discussion of going back to the nunnery (whose name I should learn!) to give a small physics lecture.  If that doesn't happen, I'll be packing up.  We leave Thursday morning; it is a few hour drive to Belgaum, where our flight departs (probably) at noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment