Monday, June 1, 2015

Tour Day: Drepung Loseling

Our last stop on our tour was the monastery I have been teaching at.  I was very excited to see the main hall. Even after the other monasteries, this was very impressive.  I had walked through a hallway that overlooks the hall, but I hadn't been able to clearly see the shrine at the front.  This was bigger than the other monasteries, and seemed somewhat fancier.

I walked by this door on my way too and from my classroom.  Occasionally it was open, showing the splendor of the prayer hall and letting out the incredible sounds of the chanting.

Not our usual entrance to the monastery!  When going in to classes we take the "back way" and are allowed to keep on our shoes.

The main altar of the Drepung Loseling monastery.

Certain figures or works of art have specific sponsors.

The hall, where the monks sit.  There is a hallway that runs along the top, which I had looked in on previously.

Now I know what is on the other side of the 202 door!
Decorations at the top of the pillars, taking from the 2nd floor walkway

In addition to the beautiful colors, the building is decorated with ornate carvings as well.

Everything on the outside is beautifully painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment