Monday, June 1, 2015

Tour Day: Shopping and Tea in Camp 3

After lunch today, I hoped to go shopping in the local town.  I hoped others would go, since I didn't want to walk by myself or negotiate a rickshaw by myself.  Most everyone wanted to go, so one of the monastery's drivers took us.

We stayed in the main cluster of shops, which had many monks shopping and socializing as well.  There were a number of small Indian children begging - they were impressively persistent.  One of the women I was with gave one of the girls money, but they didn't leave after that.  Later, the monks gave them coins and the children left.

As we were about to walk back to Drepung (about 3 km) a large group of our ETSI monks (those who are translating and helping us) arrived and we joined them for tea under a tamarind tree.

There is more to town (Camp 3) than this, but this is where we shopped.

I figured out how to take a selfie!  Shopping area is behind me.

The monks invited us to join them for tea.  The tea is sweet and milky and very hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment