Saturday, January 28, 2017

A Ridiculous Day in Genova


  • I walked over 23,000 steps today in my boots (which have heels).  This wasn't the best choice.
  • The Andy Warhol exhibit was amazing!  The show was in the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace) and the final room of the exhibit was amazing.  This room was completely frescoed with decorative marble floors and an incredible sculpture.  It was filled with Warhol's Polaroids - a breath-taking contrast.
  • The guidebook wasn't kidding about getting lost.  Even with using my phone's map and GPS, I kept getting lost.  I would suddenly come out into squares I thought I was heading away from, or end up not being able to find large churches.  I succeeded in staying in the touristy part of the city, but I certainly am glad I didn't wander around at night.
  • Other than breakfast (at the hotel, which was excellent), I only ate focaccia today.  My coworker had told me about a specific type of focaccia I was supposed to try - I passed a focacceria that advertised having it, but I wasn't hungry then.  None of the 3 places I ended up having focaccia at had it!  I still had three different types of focaccia, which was delicious.
  • I went shopping in order to stay warm.  All of the churches I wanted to visit were closed until 3 PM, and it was around 1 PM.  This was already after hours/miles of walking in the cold - I knew there were some affordable clothing stores near my hotel, so I went there to get out of the weather.  I didn't buy anything.
  • My final stop was the treasury of the duomo of Genova.  Sadly, the holy grail was not on display because it is undergoing maintenance.  The remainder was still impressive!
Pop Art in a fancy old Italian Palace 

This is a road.  The alleys were much smaller.

The duomo of Genova!  There is a large museum (I was the only one there?) with centuries worth of art, etc.  And they have a room in the basement filled with treasure!

It was cold and windy, but less rainy then expected.

Genova smells like the sea.

Modern port to my left, ridiculously old buildings to my right.

Christopher Columbus is from here.  

The towers are the gate to the old city.  Columbus' house is there in the trees.

These boots served me over 23,000 steps today - over 10 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment