Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Just so you know: Earthquakes in Italy

I realize that the American news is probably filled with ridiculous quotes from our elected officials, but there were some devastating earthquakes in central Italy today.  This region has had many earthquakes over the past few years, and the batch today were not the worst. 

I realize that certain people don't have a great sense of Italian geography - but the earthquakes struck about 6 hours from where I am in Milan.  Rome, by comparison, is 2 hours from the area struck by the earthquakes today.  So, I am absolutely fine.

Historically, Italy has had major earthquakes - mostly in the central or southern regions (I am in the north).  I lived in California for 7 years right next to the San Andreas fault line, so I am not particularly concerned about earthquakes here.  I am not planning on traveling to the central region - partially because it has never fully recovered from the earthquakes over the past few years.  Don't spend your concerns and worries on me - do send thoughts and prayers to the Italians near the village of Amatrice (and in the entire region) who have lost homes and loved ones today.

No comments:

Post a Comment