Thursday, January 19, 2017

A very successful day

My morning started with the challenge of getting up early into a cold apartment, taking a shower, etc, and getting out the door.  While I didn't leave as early as I had hoped to, I was to the office within the window I had set for myself.  I don't have a badge yet, but I had been told to buzz and that someone would let me in.  I pushed what I thought was the buzzer, but nothing happened... Luckily, someone arrived who was entering the same office area and they let me in - I don't know if I had met them yesterday or not.

Almost no one was around, but I knew what I could make progress on.  One of the people I share an office with arrived a bit later.  Eventually, I worked up the courage to ask her about lunch - I didn't want to eat by myself, but I wasn't sure I could eve navigate the system (whatever it was) on my own.  She happily agreed to take me to lunch.  I also asked her about the Metro transfer back from OSR, since I didn't want to run into the same problem as yesterday where I couldn't exit.

Lunch was fine - cafeteria food, so it won't be providing my most delicious meals in Italy, but it will certainly work for weekly lunches.  Interestingly, I had been warned it was expensive - but it wasn't.  Perhaps I was given the wrong change or the cashier assumed I got the employee/student price.  I'm sure I will figure out the actual price soon.

I made more progress in the afternoon, and I think I am ready to run some (example) simulations tomorrow.  Basically, instead of using my primary simulation tool directly, I am going to be using something that interfaces to it.  I think this will be advantageous in the end, but now I have to deal with a learning curve.  So my achievement for today was reading over 200 pages of software documentation.

Chatting with my office mate, I learned that she dances salsa - including Cuban salsa!  I find it pretty amazing that I have met a small handful of people in Milan, and yet already I have a connection to the local salsa scene.  She also helped me a little bit with the monthly transit pass I hoped to get and explained a little more about the transit pass I currently have.  Her advice was very helpful, as I actually found the machine to validate my ticket to avoid being scolded by the transit employees today.

I stopped at home to change out of work clothes and because I thought I (maybe?) could only use it if I returned to the station I departed from.  I figured out, with the help of the internet, what ticket I needed to buy to supplement it (for today and tomorrow) and headed to the Loreto transit stop.  I was behind schedule, but I hoped to get my electronic transit card and sign up for the monthly ticket today.

My office mate had written down how to ask for the card and ticket, which I thought I could say on my own, but with the nervousness of sorting out the situation it was very helpful to reference something written down.  There was a form to fill out, which I more or less managed.  The fields had English translations, but that wasn't that helpful.  "Civic code?" I took my best guess and left a field blank which I think is for the equivalent of the Italian social security number.  I had read that was needed, which is why I wasn't sure I could get the card at all.  My form was accepted, I had a passport picture with me (since I had read the website ahead of time!), and I immediately had my card.  The entire process took about 10 minutes!

I was right on time for my language lesson, which is also in that area.  I'm very happy with how the lesson went - we mostly conversed, but she would occasionally pause to correct mistakes that I was consistently making.  We were mostly speaking in Italian, but we used English to clarify grammer details (or when I had no idea how to say something).  I'm very optimistic that I will improve over the next week of working with her.  I'd like to sit and practice/review right now, but I feel very tired...

After the lesson, I stopped into a store that had caught my eye yesterday.  It is called "Tiger", and I would describe it as an Ikea of random small stuff.  It seems to be from Denmark, and clearly is design-focused - but there is little pattern to what they have.  I saw they had (European) USB wall adapters, which I wanted to get.  But I discovered they also had stationary, craft supplies, exercise equipment, kitchenware, pet supplies, and spices.  Between the notebooks, glitter, and spices, this is basically my favorite store ever!

I did, of course, look at the spices.  They had a strange mix of spices - including "Dragoncello".  I could figure out what most everything else was, but didn't have a guess on that.  Instead of buying it (because I am a reasonable human being), I took and picture and translated it later.  The English name (Tarragon) isn't that exciting, so I shall call it dragoncello henceforth! 

Just like Ikea, everything was very cheap.  There are a number of kitchen supplies I'd like to acquire for the apartment, but they didn't quite have what I needed.  I did buy a small ceramic (paring-style) knife, which will be an improvement over the steak knives I've been using to cut bread and cheese.  I managed to not buy any glitter.  I had no idea how to ask for the USB charger in Italian, but the cashier spoke enough English that I got it.

I promised myself I would stop at the pasticceria, next to the metro station, on the way home to get bread.  I bought two pastries (I don't know their name in Italian, so I did call them "these" and point) and a small loaf for dinner.  I was fairly pleased with the interaction!  I felt emboldened to head back out to one of the small meat markets, but once I was in my apartment I decided I was too tired.  I've managed to write this and eat dinner, but I think my bed is in my near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment