Sunday, January 22, 2017

Oggi sono stata una turista

I did some internet searching for art exhibits and saw that there were two that end this coming weekend, both at Palazzo Reale.  This museum is open Sunday, so after a quick lunch I headed out.  There had been warnings on their website to get tickets online and avoid the line, but I figured winter would not be too busy.

Palazzo Reale is next to the duomo, the major cathedral of Milan.  I had seen the duomo when I visited Milan about 7 years ago, and I absolutely loved it.  For years it was the background on my phone.  After looking at the duomo for a little bit and enjoying the piazza, I headed over to the Palazzo Reale.  The line for tickets was very long!  I ended up decided to go to the duomo instead.



I started by heading to the roof of the duomo.  When buying a ticket to the duomo, you can pay more to take the elevator.  I chose to take the stairs, of course.  The view from the roof is incredible - both of the surrounding city, but also of the architecture of the duomo itself.  I'm not good with the terminology - but there are lots of spires and pokey bits and statues on top.   It took many centuries to build/finish, and clearly people went with the "more is better" approach, which I appreciate.





I descended back down the (narrow!) stairs and headed inside.  The duomo has some excellent stained glass, as well as many lovely statues.  I would have used the audioguide to actually learn more (and be able to say something more detailed and useful) but they are not available on Sundays.  I've seen many excellent cathedrals in Europe, but I don't have the knowledge of art or architecture to dwell on the details.


After I enjoyed the duomo, knowing I could go back many times over the next 3 months, I did some shopping.  There is a "mall" next to the duomo that is one of the world's oldest - the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.  I'm not in need of any Gucci or Prada, but I was thinking that some more sweaters or a warmer coat could be really helpful.  Next to the duomo (but not in the mall) was a H&M, and I figured that was closer to my price point.  I succeeded in finding some warm layers, mostly for weekends and evenings after work.  So far, the puffer vest is succeeding at keeping me warm.

This was my first trip into a touristy area since arriving.  I heard plenty of Italian spoken by other visitors to the Duomo, but also French, English, German, and Eastern European languages.  There are many hawkers on the piazza, selling guidebooks and whatnot.  Interestingly, when they approached me some of them spoke English and others Italian.  In past trips, I felt like all of the street vendors immediately spoke English to me.  I suppose that my attempt to "blend in" is working a little.  Though, one of the security officers at the Duomo (they do bag screenings and have metal detectors) asked if I was Russian.     

No comments:

Post a Comment