Monday, January 23, 2017

Things I am slowly figuring out in my aparment...

The laundry machine.  It is small.  It is front loading.  I managed to buy detergent at the supermarket (google had to do some translating for me to be sure) and the apartment already had some fabric softener (again, thanks google!).  I did one load without the fabric softener, and that was apparently a mistake.  It all dried very quickly overnight (on a line inside), but then was stiff and scratchy.  The second load had fabric softener in it - I had to google how to use liquid fabric softener.  This was better, but it still needs more fabric softener!

The gas stove.  How hard can it be, right?  Well, the main burner I use doesn't always stay on, but I'm getting a knack for it.  Or, I'm acquiring patience.

The hot water.  There seems to be a rhythm to it, when bathing.  The water is nice and hot, then scalding for 1 second before it is cold for 2 seconds, then back to reasonably hot.

Why Italians like bottled water so much.  I am sure that my tap water is "safe", but the mineral content (ie, lime) is ridiculous.  My tea tasted funny, had a lot of sediment, and the tea kettle kept acquiring a disturbing coating on the inside.  Using bottled water (even though it is still theoretically mineral water, I guess) has fixed all of those problems.

The window shutters.  European apartments have outer shutters.  They are theoretically supposed to block light, provide more privacy and thermal insulation.  Early on, I figured out how to open and close them, but they didn't seem particularly effective.  I only now figured out I wasn't closing them all the way.  Now they are much more effective about blocking light (and hopefully keeping in heat).

The hallway lights.  I was shocked the hallways/staircase wasn't lit.  Then, during the day, I saw that there were lights but they were off.  Later one evening, the lights were actually on.  I figured that either they were on a schedule, which people must base their lives around, or that there was a method to control them.  I figured the later was more likely, but I was nervous about pushing buttons in a building with an intercom system.  Eventually I became more adventurous, and I noticed the backlit switch in the hallway.  Now I control the hallway/stair lights like some sort of magician.

I'm really not sure how many of these things are specific to Europe, vs Milan, or perhaps just my building.  

No comments:

Post a Comment