Thursday, January 19, 2017

Good Luck Today!

So, apparently major things are happening in the United States today.  I received my first message from the consulate here:

The U.S. Consulate General in Milan informs U.S. Citizens that on Friday, January 20, 2017, from 6:30 p.m.  a demonstration is planned at Largo Donegani, in front of the U.S. Consulate General Milan, by a group opposing the U.S. administration.  The police will monitor these events and expect approximately 200-300 people at the event. They expect the demonstration will be peaceful. 
The U.S. Consulate General in Milan recommends that U.S. citizens and their families avoid the areas of the demonstration and exercise caution if walking or driving in the vicinity.

As much as part of me wants to go and join the demonstration, I'm going to listen to the Consulate and avoid the area.  It isn't near my flat nor where my Italian lessons are, so I should be ok.  I haven't even had anyone (apparently) recognize me as an English speaker or American on first sight.

Bottom line: if riots somehow break out at the protest in Milan (I don't think they are the rioting type), I won't be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment